Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grabbing expired/expiring domains? Here are the free tools you'll need!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grabbing expired/expiring domains? Here are the free tools you'll need!

Hey folks, hope you all are doing well.

So this is my first thread here, and I want to start this journey with a list of the tools (websites, apps, extensions, etc.) I use on a daily basis for catching expired domains. I know, a lot of us grab these domains daily, specifically from the DOMAINX™ daily drop list. Some of us do some research, while others pick the names that just sound good. Irrespective of what your methodology of picking domains is, here is a list of all the tools that can definitely add more depth to your domain-picking process:

1. ExpiredDomains.net and ExpiredDomains.io - The places where you find and hunt for expired domains. These are two independent sites that pull dropping lists and show you the stats. ExpiredDomains.net is the original big daddy of this game, and though it might look a bit too intimidating and confusing at first, this tool is a pure gem if you know what you're doing with it. There are a lot of options, and it has the dropped, pending-delete, and even third-party auction lists for about 470 extensions, with metrics like TLDs registered, backlink count, monthly searches, competition & more. ExpiredDomains.io, on the other hand, is a more modest, modern and simpler website that simply serves you the already expired domains (no pending-delete) list with some nifty metrics (like Moz DA/PA, Estibot appraisals and stuff that's missing on ExpiredDomains.net). Other than that, it has lesser filtering options, but all the necessary ones are there. You can use either, but I'd rather go with the NET because I am more into hand-registering dropped domains.

2. Namebio - Probably the next best tool after ExpiredDomains. I use this to check historical domain name sales that have the same keywords as my domains & the source of those sales. This is infinitely useful. It does not just help you decide whether to pick or pass a domain, but also helps you set a price for it when you're trying to sell one.

2. WHOIS - This is pretty self-explanatory. I use this to check the whois records, nameservers (this helps you know whether the previous owner had set the domain up for sale, or if he had a website), and even gives you access to their contact details. Use it to your benefits.

3. Easycounter Whois & Server History - Okay, this is an awesome website I came across very recently. These tools help you get the historical whois (owner name & company) and server records. I'll say this right away that these don't work with every domain name, but for the ones they do, you can't really ask for more for free. Check photos 1 & 2. There are paid tools to check these two, but I'm sticking with free ones for this thread.

4. Internet Archive - Another awesome tool to get you some historical regime of the domain you're about to pick (or not). This free tool will show you if the domain was parked for sale earlier, or if there was a website on it, and if you're into blogging like me, you know that expired domains with a website in the past have some metrics you can make use of (a new thread on this soon). If you're planning to resell the domain to some brand, this is rarely useful, but if you're wanting to work on the domain yourself, this is a lifesaver. Oh, and did I mention that there also is a chrome extension for this, so that you can directly go to the archived version without going to the actual website?

5. DomainIndex & GoDaddy Appraisals - Okay, let me say this up-front that I too don't rely on automated bot appraisals. I use both of these to check other stuff. DomainIndex, for example, shows domain birthdate, keyword origin, global and local monthly search volumes along with competition and CPC, and even the trademark infringement probability. GoDaddy appraisals, on the other hand, show some nifty insights, like whether or not my domain has high-value keywords, whether the domain in question has been sold before, or if the domain name with another extension has been sold and for how much. For English keyword domains, I'd say bot appraisals do make some sense. Oh, and if would like to appraise domains in bulk, try Domanow, it's based on the GoDaddy appraisal API and is developed by a friend.

6. Dynadot (Registrar of choice) - So I have the Dynadot bulk search page open whenever I'm hunting for dropping domains because it's simple and straight forward. Also, when I know that people wouldn't immediately pick a particular domain, and I'm the only one waiting in line for it, I prefer registering it somewhere else, where I get discounts (like ConnectReseller). But for the domains that I feel some people are waiting to hand-reg, I'll use Dynadot with a self-refresh browser extension that refreshes the search page every set amount of time.

7. Super Auto Refresh Plus - The auto-refresh extension I was talking about. It's simple, clean, and is available on other browsers as well. This also clears page cache while reloading so you don't see cached pages while someone else takes your domain. Simple and sweet.

That's all for this one. Note that these are only the tools I use to dig about the domains (before I register them), and not for outreach or selling (you might use some though), that's a topic for another day. What other tools do you use? Type them in below, and leave a like if you found this thread useful. Happy domaining!

Insightful thread! I have one question, how have you disabled "Confirm form resubmission" prompt, I installed the Super Auto Refresh Plus extension, it's working great but every time it refreshes the page, I have to click on continue in the "Confirm form resubmission" prompt to refresh. How have you automated that?

Comment

Originally posted by harsh View Post
      Insightful thread! I have one question, how have you disabled "Confirm form resubmission" prompt, I installed the Super Auto Refresh Plus extension, it's working great but every time it refreshes the page, I have to click on continue in the "Confirm form resubmission" prompt to refresh. How have you automated that?
      There's a simple fix for this. First set the refresh interval to something big, like 20 seconds, and start the timer. While the countdown is on, refresh the page manually (F5) and click confirm on the popup before the extension refreshes the page. Done, now reduce the interval to your liking, it won't show that annoying popup!
      This has to be done for every time you open a new search page though.

Comment

Thanks Jit

Hey I can tag names now...and this is my first one...

Good info...add more whenever you find it is useful for all..

Like is not enough...there should be thank button

Comment

Originally posted by Jit View Post

There's a simple fix for this. First set the refresh interval to something big, like 20 seconds, and start the timer. While the countdown is on, refresh the page manually (F5) and click confirm on the popup before the extension refreshes the page. Done, now reduce the interval to your liking, it won't show that annoying popup!
          This has to be done for every time you open a new search page though.
          I tried this, sadly it's not working on my browser.

Comment

Jit this is a super detailed article written on various tools about domain names. Well done brother :-)
            Need help? Private message me :-)

Comment

Originally posted by harsh View Post

I tried this, sadly it's not working on my browser.
              It does work for me. That thing pops up on every page that has a secure form, including namesilo and name.com, and that is how I manage to get rid of it.

Comment

G
                Originally posted by DOMAINX™ View Post
                Jit this is a super detailed article written on various tools about domain names. Well done brother :-)
                Glad you liked it!

Comment

Thanks for sharing 👍

Comment

Nice knowledge, one question how can i see drop domain and register one again

Comment

Originally posted by Sdeep View Post
                      Nice knowledge, one question how can i see drop domain and register one again
                      Join DOMAINX VIP Club to see an exclusive list of premium domains dropped every night.
                      Need help? Private message me :-)

Comment

Really helpful thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hey Jit,

Looks like some useful info here. But I'm curious whether you manage to beat any dropcatch services using Dynadot bulk search and that auto-refresh tool.

Comment

Originally posted by NameTrue74 View Post
                            Hey Jit,

Looks like some useful info here. But I'm curious whether you manage to beat any dropcatch services using Dynadot bulk search and that auto-refresh tool.
                            No, mate. Haven't been able to beat any backordering services in registering domains, but have definitely seen them dropping, then being available, then gone in seconds.

Comment

WELCOME TO DOMAINX™ FORUM

Collapse

Since 2014, DOMAINX™ was developed to build community and provide income opportunities to aspiring Internet professionals, is now a part of multiple success stories.

Disclaimer: Views expressed by members are their own, and not those of DOMAINX™.

Collapse